Winged Creatures
you have seen what you've wished
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
Astraia has a host of winged creatures to be found in its skies, sometimes lending their aide to the peoples by allowing them to ride on their backs, and sometimes proving to be more of a hazard than a help.

last edited Aug 21, 2017 18:00:36 GMT
0 likes
with careful hands, i'll let you down
i won't let go, stand up now
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
"
Quite possibly the most dangerous and legendary of all the world's animals is the dragon; residing in the deep hidden places of the earth, they hoard their centuries of wealth and knowledge, threatening the lives of all who dare to step into their lairs. They are selfish and mistrustful creatures by nature, or so the legends say.
"

- Kertus Ferrigan, Studies of the Known World: Volume V

appearance.
Dragons' bodies closely resemble dogs in build, though their necks are long, and their front feet possess five fingers, eerily similar to a primate's hands with opposable thumbs. Most dragons stand as large as a house at the shoulder, and are covered in hard, tough, inflammable scales. They vary greatly in colors and patterns, and possess impressive, leathery wingspans.

behavior.
Dragons are incredibly long-lived, intelligent creatures. They are rarely seen and hard to find, however. Dragons are proud, stubborn creatures with a deep mistrust of mankind, aggressively protective of their homes where they keep hordes of treasure. Contact with a dragon almost always ends in death, and usually not the death of the dragon.

habitat.
Dragons are rare creatures, difficult to find. They're commonly thought to have originated from deep within the uncharted areas of the Far North, and tend to make their homes in mountains and other such cavernous spaces. Dragons almost never come anywhere near civilization unless greatly provoked to do so.
0 likes
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
"
Firebirds are an uncommon occurrence, and dangerous at times, but they are one of the most profoundly beautiful creatures our world has to offer.
"

- Councilwoman Fari Dasis

appearance.
A great bird of prey with a large wingspan, typically standing at about eight feet fall. A firebird's feathers come in shades of red, orange, gold, and white, often mixing these colors together. It is a vibrant and beautiful creature, and their feathers radiate heat; these feathers can set fire to just about anything, if the creature so wished.

behavior.
Firebirds are mistrustful creatures that keep to themselves, difficult to befriend but utterly devoted once their trust has been earned. Encountering one in the wilds usually aggravates the creature, which results in a great deal of fire and oftentimes a very narrow escape. So long as a firebird is left alone, though, it usually will not cause trouble.

habitat.
Firebirds are usually found in warmer, drier climates, like the desert or western plains.
0 likes
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
"
The gryphon is a noble creature. They are not so easily fooled by false kindness or false words. Their loyalty and devotion must be earned, and once it has, a gryphon will know only one companion for all its life. For this reason, they cannot be bought and sold once they are trained.
"

- Carden Nettlus, Aeran stablemaster

appearance.
A large creature, generally larger than the average wyvern. Gryphons are similar to hippogriffs in shape, having the build of a powerful horse, but their rear halves are covered in fur rather than feathers, and their hind legs are that of a lions, as are their tails. Gryphons are powerful fliers and majestic creatures with impressive wingspans. They come in a variety of natural colors and types.

behavior.
Gryphons are fairly intelligent creatures. Their temperament is usually mild, but they are sensitive to insult and deception, and are rather un-appreciative of being treated like dumb animals. Gryphons make life-long bonds, and are selective about who they bond with.

habitat.
Gryphons can be found in most temperate climates, such as deciduous forests and some coniferous forests, as well as plains and grasslands.
0 likes
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
"
A hippogriff isn't just an animal; for some, it's a standard of transportation. Hippogriffs are, after all, cheap, easy to train, and long-lived.
"

- Carden Nettlus, Aeran stablemaster

appearance.
A horse-sized creature with the rear half of a horse and the front half of an eagle is its most common description. These creatures most resemble horses in shape, though their heads are indeed that of birds of prey, and soft feathers of varying colors cover their bodies. Their front feet closely resemble the talons of raptors, and they are stronger and faster than horses, both on land and in the air.

behavior.
Hippogriffs are what you might consider gullible creatures. They are easy to train, easy to trick, and easy to distract. However, they are sturdily built and common enough to be a staple for aerial transportation.

habitat.
Hippogriffs can be found almost anywhere, but are most commonly found in the nearest stables.
0 likes