when the devil comes to plea ( open )
you have seen what you've wished
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
(Woot for first in-character thread!)

It was a good night for drinking; a sure sign of this was the readily-flowing booze in the city's taverns and pubs. Of course, Xax certainly wasn't helping the matter any, nor was he complaining. He sat back in his chair, downing half a mug of beer and enjoying the cheap liquor, for what it was worth. The dragonkin was on his fourth - or was it his fifth? - mug, and he could barely even feel a buzz. One arm dangled over the edge of his under-sized chair, near the hilt of his broadsword, ready to grab it at a moment's notice, more out of habit than apprehension.

Outside, the crack of lightning startled some of the tavern's patrons, but after a moment they went back to ignoring the raging thunderstorm. Xax glanced at the windows through half-lidded eyes himself, surveying the black sheet of rain that snuffed out the city lights and smothered the light of the late-night businesses. He found that he wasn't overly keen on getting wet, so he went back to his beer. The idea of waiting out the storm with food and drink was rather appealing to him. Xax looked over to the bar, dark amber eyes lighting up, the thought of food leading to a vision of roasted pork, smothered in a spicy sauce from out west.

Mouth watering, Xax set his mug down, and rose to his feet, easily towering over the tavern's other patrons; especially when they were sitting down. He could feel their eyes turn on him. Though it saw quite a few travelers from across the continent, Kingshill was not known for its racial tolerance. It was quite common for Xax to receive queer looks and muttered complaints in his wanderings about, but he paid them little heed.

Xax crossed the room in four long strides, worn leather boots thudding heavily against the wooden floor. He stepped up to the bar, looking down at the short-statured tavernkeep. Slowly, he lowered himself down to the bartop, the scales on his forearms clicking softly against the wood surface as he leaned some of his weight against it, one eyebrow quirked. "Got any of that roasted pork still, Dwart?" he asked, his voice coming out in a low, warm rumble.

"Damned monster. Going to eat us out of house and home."

Xax's face darkened quickly, eyes narrowing as he slowly turned his head in the direction of the speaker. The mutter had been soft enough that it likely hadn't been meant for him to hear, and had he not been dragonkin, he likely would not have heard it. But the speaker clearly knew nothing of dragonkin hearing. "If you've got something to say, pal, you may as well say it," Xax growled back in response, his voice growing lower, surprising the speaker. The man opened his mouth to say something, then clearly thought better of it as he closed his mouth, taking in the angry set of Xax's jaw and the dangerous glint in his smoldering amber eyes. The man hurried away. "Coward," Xax muttered under his breath, turning back to the tavernkeep.
0 likes
with careful hands, i'll let you down
i won't let go, stand up now
Rookie
Evaline Montigue had been seated in the back corner of the tavern placing bets. She was quite pleased at the crowd the storm had brought  in for the evening. The more they drank, the more they would place foolish bets. Although this hadnt been her main reason to travel into the city of Kingshill, she couldnt pass up the opportunity to make a few extra coins. Evaline had been on a mission, one she wasnt to excited about.
    As the thunder crashed somewhere in the distance, Evaline jumped in her chair. With the storm brewing as it was, there was no way she could concentrate on the job at hand. As she started to pack up the coins she had won, a rather large male with a mug of ale in his hand slambed his fist down on her table. "You wouldnt be tryn ter leave without lettin me win me coins back, would yer?" His voice was rough and his movements sluggish. She could take this clumsy human down with one kick. Or so she hoped.
   The movements of the dragonkin drew attention from most of the tavern patrons. To her relief the male currently wanting to rip her to shreds had found something else to focus his angry drunken rage on. She heard the male mutter something about the dragonkin, but shut his mouth quickly. Evaline couldnt help but chuckle. This male played a hard act while threatening someone he thought to be weak, but the moment a dragonkin looked his way, he cowered into the corner. "Pathetic." She said loud enough for the male to hear. He opened his mouth to say something, but Evaline had moved on to the other side of the tavern by then.
   Once she noticed the fear the dragon kin had inflicted upon those who go tin his way, a brilliant idea popped in her head. She would get this male to occupancy her on her mission. Flicking her long blonde hair over her shoulder, she leaned in closer to him. " You dont want the roasted pork. The roasted duck is much fresher." Evaline ordered a glass of wine and smiled at the dragonkin. Although she wasnt usually very friendly, something about the thunder cracking violently over head and being alone in the city, made her seek out a companion.

0 likes
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
Another roll of thunder hushed the tavern's clientele for a solitary moment, before they picked up their idle chatter once more. Xax cast a sidelong glance at the young human woman who'd sidled up next to him, flicking her long blonde hair over one shoulder like the dainty thing she was. "You don't want the roasted pork. The roasted duck is much fresher." She flashed him a smile, and the dragonkin reached the conclusion that she was new in town.

Xax gave a loud, derisive snort. "The pork, Dwart," he said to the tavernkeep. Xax straightened up, looming over the human as he turned his attention back on her. "Beat it, sweetheart. You're not my type," he told her blatantly, eyes narrowed slightly as he scrutinized her. He made no attempt to be discreet in the movement of his dark amber eyes over her face, her clothes. She could think whatever she wanted of him. She'd been sitting in the back since before he'd come in earlier, but he hadn't paid much more attention than that. But he hadn't missed the exchange between her and the coward from just before, so he wasn't fool enough to think that her smile was sincere or that there wasn't something that she wanted.

Xax took the plate of steaming meat offered to him by the tavernkeep, and strode away from the woman, back towards his table. He settled into his chair, checking his broadsword as he did, and setting his plate down. The eyes of the tavern's curious patrons turned away from him, now that he was sated and no longer moving about. Against his better judgement, he looked from his plate back to the human woman. Now there was a slight niggling curiosity at the back of his mind. But he didn't particularly feel like asking her what her game was. She probably couldn't afford his services, anyways.
last edited Aug 19, 2017 20:32:29 GMT
0 likes
Rookie
Not his type? Her eyes narrowed a bit. Evaline did not take kindly to rejection especially when she hadnt even been coming on to him. She quickly regained her posture and picked up her glass to take a sip of wine. She could feel his eyes give her form a once over. Maybe just maybe she could appeal to his male side, but even that seemed like walking over hot coals.

Evaline did not protest nor try to catch his attention when he walked away from her. Instead she finished off her wine and ordered something stronger. Pretending to be a lady did nothing to help her win him over, so she may as well enjoy herself while coming up with another plan. As the bartender slid the glass of whiskey towards her, she picked it up and turned to face where the dragon kin had sat. To her surprise he was looking right at her. Giving him a wink, she held up her glass before taking a drink. Maybe he wasnt such a lost cause after all.

With the dragonkin male on the other side of the tavern, the large ogre looking male returned to her side and leaned in close to her. His breath smelled like rotten flesh and onions. She waved a hand in front of her nose and glared at his presence. " Ye conniving little wench, I want me coins."  The man placed his grubby hand on the back of her neck and gave her a light squeeze.

Evaline knew how to deal with men such as this one. One elbow to the groin and he would get the hint, or so she hoped. If she did fight him, and got herself thrown out of the tavern, she would have to ride through the storm and lose her chance at having the dragon kin as a body guard. She thought through her options while taking the knife from her side. She looked down at the blade and twisted it, letting the candle flame reflect off of the medal. With out looking up from her small but sharp weapon she smiled. An evil malicious smile at that. " I would suggest you remove your hand before I cut it off." She laughed a little before looking up at the man. To the rest of the world, it may look like she could not handle herself, but she had killed before and would not hesitate to do it again.
0 likes
Guardian of Lore
Immortal Admin
Xax scowled when the human woman winked at him. Damn it. Now I've encouraged her. He gave a slow roll of his eyes, and looked down at his food, tearing into it with exaggerated gusto. Most people - women especially - didn't persist after their first dismissal. Something about the harshness of his words and the set of his shoulders kept the meeker at bay. It seemed that this one hadn't given up, yet. "Damned humans," he muttered under his breath, between mouthfuls of pork. "Don't know how to take 'no' for an answer."

Movement from the corner of his eye drew his attention to the drunk bastard who was still swaying around the tavern. One eye on his plate and one on the human man, Xax watched him approach the blonde at the bar. He raised an eyebrow, but lowered his gaze completely to his food. Not my problem, he thought breezily to himself. The attentions of a drunk would certainly take the woman's attention away from him. Xax could eat in peace. Another roll of thunder sounded overhead, and Xax could barely hear anything the leering drunk spoke - but he did catch a single word; 'coins.'

Xax's amber eyes, glinting with sudden newfound interest in the situation, shot back up at the mention of money, swallowing his half-chewed bite of meat in one gulp. A small, thoughtful hum, more reminiscent of a soft growl, escaped his throat, looking over the two humans. The man had put his hand on the woman, who carefully fingered something in her hands. Xax honed in on the object, and quickly recognized it to be a small knife; hardly a warrior's choice weapon, but a weapon nonetheless. Is that the best she's got? That little thing? he wondered, snorting with amusement as he watched the unfolding proceedings.

The woman smiled, and Xax's lips turned down in a critical frown. It was something of a cruel smile. Xax tilted his head slightly. Gods have mercy, he thought dryly. He'd met enough stab-happy criminals to know the look - needless to say, he wasn't overly impressed. Xax had always found them to be all bark and no bite, though perhaps to the untrained masses they were at least somewhat intimidating. Xax gave a long, low sigh through his nose, and rose to his feet, tired of watching the spectacle.

He strode forward, easily covering the distance yet again that night. He stood over the pair, crossing his arms over his chest. The dragonkin looked down to the knife in the woman's hands. "For th' love of Veyr, put that pansy thing away before you embarrass yourself, sweetheart," he told her shortly. The drunk finally turned around to look at Xax through bloodshot eyes, as though he'd only just noticed the looming dragonkin. "'Tain't none of yer business," the man slurred stupidly.

Xax feigned a look of contemplation, as though he were actually considering the man's words. "Nah, it ain't," he agreed after a moment, shrugging his shoulders. Then he reached out with a hand, and in one smooth, fluid motion, he slammed the drunk's face into the bar, letting his prone form thud to the ground. Xax growled satisfactorily, taking a seat at the bar and turning his face towards the human woman. His dark amber eyes glittered with a bestial intensity; a predator about to pounce. "Now, pay up. My service don't come cheap."
last edited Aug 20, 2017 2:07:59 GMT
0 likes
Rookie
Evaline clinched the handle of her knife tighter as the large dragonkin told her to put it away. She would not embarrass herself, just who did he thing he was? Evaline twisted in her chair slightly to stand up and give him a piece of her mind. Sure she wasnted his help, but at what cost, her pride? She didnt think so. However, before she could even turn the whole way, the drunkard was lifted off of his seat and the dragonkin was now perched beside her. She rose a brow at his request for payment. " I dont remember asking for your services, Dragonkin. I had it all handled before you showed up." She picked up her whiskey glass and downed the rest of the liquid.

After placing a few coins down on the counter, to pay for her drinks, Evaline ordered another whiskey. "How was the pork? Did the dry over cooked meal dry your throat?" She smirked before taking a sip of the dark liquid. She remembered his comment about her not being his type and decided the seductive approach wouldnt be the way to win him over. At this point, she wasnt even sure if she wanted to win him over. How bad could a family of nobility be? Surely they wouldnt go out of their way to find her, only to kill her? She held her glass in her hand and turned to face him. " Out of curiosity, is there anything you wouldnt do for a few coins?"
0 likes